The Rise of Industry in East Cambridge
From Salt Marshes to Industrial Hub: The Story of East Cambridge
The area we now know as East Cambridge was for many centuries largely salt marshes and mud flats that, at low tide, virtually cut the area off from other parts of the city, as well as from Boston. The rich oyster beds contained there served as an important resource to the Indigenous inhabitants of the neighborhood as well as the early European colonists who settled nearby, but its geographical features meant the area was not a suitable choice for permanent settlement.

In the 1630s, the English engineer Thomas Graves was the first European colonist to settle in East Cambridge, surveying it for potential use by the new arrivals. The area came to be known as Graves’ Neck and was set off from the rest of Cambridge by Gibbon’s Creek to the north, Oyster Bank Bay to the east and the Great Marsh to the south. For more than a century following Graves’ sale of his land grant, most of the land at Graves’ Neck remained in the control of several families who farmed and consolidated parcels and passed them to their descendants. In the mid-18th century, Richard Lechmere (who had married the daughter of Lt. Gov. Spencer Phips) purchased a large tract of land on Graves’ Neck and subsequently bought out most of the other property owners. Not wanting to be isolated from the elite of Cambridge, the Lechmeres made their primary residence on Brattle Street and rented out their Graves’ Neck farm, then known as Lechmere Point; when they fled to England as Loyalists, the farm was confiscated by the revolutionary government.
After the war, a speculator named Andrew Craigie, who had profited from government securities, began secretly acquiring land in Lechmere Point. By 1805, he received permission to build a bridge to Boston. This project, along with a new courthouse, spurred the development of East Cambridge, transforming it into a planned neighborhood with a regular grid of streets.

The Rise of Industry and Railroads
The 19th century saw East Cambridge become a center for large-scale industries that were often considered undesirable in other parts of the city. Glass manufacturing was the first major industry to take root, followed by meat processing and sugar refining. This industrial boom led to the construction of housing for workers, including cottages and tenement houses, while factory managers and white-collar courthouse employees built more upscale homes.
The geography of the area also made it a natural entry point for railroads coming into Boston from the north. Between the 1830s and 1850s, seven different railroad companies laid tracks across the bay. The Boston & Lowell Railroad, completed in 1835, was the first. These rail lines were crucial for transporting goods, including bricks and ice from North Cambridge, and connected East Cambridge to deep-water shipping via the Charlestown Branch Railroad.
John P. Squire and the Pork Industry
One of the most significant figures in East Cambridge’s industrial history was John P. Squire, who started his pork packing business in 1855. By 1892, his company had become the third-largest pork packing business in the country, employing 1,000 men and slaughtering thousands of hogs daily.
Squire’s was the largest employer of immigrants in East Cambridge, providing jobs to newly-arrived people from Ireland, Germany, Italy, Poland, and other countries who often took on the hardest and lowest-paying work. Although the company’s fortunes fluctuated, it remained a major force until it was acquired by Swift & Company in the 1930s and eventually closed. The factory later burned down in 1963.
The Poultry Industry and Its Challenges
Unlike the pork industry, large-scale chicken processing didn’t arrive in East Cambridge until the mid-1930s. An earlier attempt in 1931 was met with strong opposition from the public and politicians who were concerned about nuisances like noise, odors, and the “bad example” of chickens being slaughtered. Newspaper coverage of the Jewish proprietors’ permit application repeatedly mentioned their religion, and it’s notable that no similar objections were raised when the Somerville Live Poultry Company opened just a few years later.

The Somerville Live Poultry Company relocated to East Cambridge in 1935. The company distributed around 25,000 birds per week, all sourced from local farms. In 1965, it began operating under the name Mayflower Poultry, and its iconic sign on Cambridge Street became a local landmark until the slaughterhouse closed in 2021.

Social and Environmental Impact
The rapid industrialization of East Cambridge had significant environmental and social consequences. By the 1870s, nine slaughterhouses, with Squire’s being the largest, polluted the Miller’s River. Appeals to the city and state were mostly unsuccessful, but the pollution prompted Cambridge and Somerville to start filling in the river’s tidal flats. The case of the Miller’s River was one of the earliest to consider a company’s legal responsibility for the environmental effects of its business.
Squire’s also faced pressure from the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (MSPCA) regarding humane conditions for livestock. In response, the company voluntarily introduced a new system that it claimed killed animals “instantaneously and painlessly,” positioning itself as a modern, forward-thinking business.
Workers at Squire’s also fought for better conditions. A bitter strike in 1886, led by the Knights of Labor, protested low wages and unsafe conditions. Despite these tensions, Squire’s tried to build a community culture by sponsoring baseball teams, company outings, and playgrounds. They also provided housing (at a cost) to their workers in tenement apartments that the company owned and worked with community groups to offer English and citizenship classes.

Image gallery
![This is a small, rectangular advertisement from an 1856 newspaper. It's for a company called "LEWIS F. MERRILL," a "WHOLESALE AND RETAIL DEALER." The text is in large, bold, capitalized letters. The ad lists various meat products and byproducts for sale, including "Lard, Tallow, Sausages, Bolognas, Beef, Pok [Pork], Scraps, Etc." It gives an address for an "Order Box" in Boston and specifies a location for the "LARD WORKS" as "Near the Bay State Glass Works, Bridge Street, East Cambridge." The ad ends with a note about paying cash for raw materials like "rough tallow and lard."](https://historycambridge.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/09/1856-Advertisement-Cambridge-Chronicle-from-CPL-historic-newspaper-database.png)














