1912 – present
498 Cambridge St., East Cambridge
Just a gavel’s throw from the Cambridge Court House stands Cambridge’s oldest operating fish market. In the equally-inconspicuous storefront next door, is the restaurant, which opened in 1987 and continues to serve up everything from fish chowder to crab cakes, seafood platters to linguiça in a casual setting. The business has been run by the Damaso family since 1967, when it was purchased from the Travis’. The Courthouse has a loyal following in the East Cambridge and Portuguese communities, chefs, and foodies, such as the late Josephina Yanguas, who was often seen purchasing octopus for her Café Pamplona, or enjoying lunch next door.
In 2019, Courthouse Fish Market and Seafood Restaurant was honored for being the “Oldest business in East Cambridge and oldest fish market.” Both businesses are thriving today, staffed by family members Eddy, Joe, and Diane, along with an extended family of dedicated coworkers.
Saltzman, Amy. “The 18 Businesses That Were Honored.” The Cambridge Chronicle, 16 May 2019, p.5
Stankus, Al. “A Portuguese Connection: Authentic Fare for Adventurous Cooks.” The Cambridge Chronicle, 4 October 2000, p.15