The Goepper Brothers firm was founded in Charlestown in 1871 by William and Gustavus Goepper. The company primarily dealt in the production of sugar barrels, which it manufactured using steam-powered machinery. The Goepper Brothers initially moved to Cambridge in 1872. By 1880, the company purchased a larger tract of land along the Grand Junction Railroad in order to expand production. At its height, the factory had a capacity of thirty-five hundred new barrels and fifteen hundred second-hand barrels per day (Gilman, 1896).