The Columbia Jewelry Company was formed in 1898 in the City of Boston. The firm – which emerged out a partnership established by Frank E. Viano, John J. Viano, Anthony Viano, and Felix Viano – specialized in the manufacture of jewelry and jewelry novelties. By 1900, the company moved production from Medford Street to Camp and Fair Oaks Streets in North Cambridge. The business expanded throughout the early twentieth century and was incorporated in 1909, with a capital of $52,000 and seventy-five employees (Stone, 1930).