Courthouse Seafood


1912 – present


498 Cambridge St., East Cambridge


Fresh fish market and eatery




Just a gavel's throw from the Cambridge Court House stands the oldest operating fish market in Cambridge. In the equally-inconspicuous storefront next door, the restaurant side opened in 1987 and continues to serve up everything from fish chowder to crab cakes, seafood platters to linguiça in a casual setting. The business has been run by the Damaso family since 1967, when it was purchased from the Travis'. The Courthouse has a loyal following in the East Cambridge and Portuguese communities, chefs, and foodies, such as the late Josephina Yanguas, who was often seen purchasing octopus for her Café Pamplona, or enjoying lunch next door.

Photo by Rain Robertson