Charlie's Tap/Green Street Grill


1933 – present


280 Green St., Central Square


Bar and grill




Opened hard on the heels of Prohibition, Green Street, as it's called today, lays claim to the very first liquor license in Cambridge. Old bottles of Angostura bitters are visibly embedded in the brick next to the entrance – no one's sure exactly why. Since original owner Charlie Wax, it's changed hands three times: first sold to pub owners Feeney & Driscoll, then to John Clifford (who made his Green Street Grill a Caribbean food mecca), then to current owner Dylan Black (Green Street, 2006), where it endures as a popular restaurant and renowned cocktail bar. The old stable on the property is quite unrecognizable today as such, though Black keeps it as Green Street's offices.

Photo by Rain Robertson